Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Banana Bread

Banana Bread

I am excited about a new recipe that I have “acquired”. My great friend Janine has given me her Meme’s family recipe for banana bread. It is such a simple recipe, very, very easy to make, and super duper yummy. I am looking forward to expanding this recipe – adding a little spice, chocolate, maybe nuts, and possibly a frosting of some sort. I need to try it in a square pan rather than a loaf and see if it keeps its moistness. Moistness – is that really a word? Sounds weird to me. But anyway… I didn’t take any pictures this time. Jake and I were in a hurry to make it so that we could gobble it up. We each ate quite a big piece. It’s hard to resist. I had to wrap it up and put it out of sight so that I wouldn’t eat the whole loaf. I am suffering from so brutal PMS and just want to binge on everything. I hate this time of the month. Throws my healthy attempts right out the window.
Ok, back to the recipe. I don’t think Janine would mind me sharing. I will be sure to ask her and if she does I will take this down right away.

Banana Bread
Makes one loaf, or two small loaves

1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
4 ripe bananas
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

Soften butter. Mix in eggs and add sugar. Mix until fluffy. Add flour ½ cup at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add baking soda and salt to the last ½ cup of flour. (not in original recipe but I find it ensures the baking soda is evenly distributed) Mash bananas and add to mixture. Mix well.

Grease loaf pan(s) and dust with flour.

Bake in a preheated oven for 70 minutes (approx). or 40 minutes for 2 small loaf pans.

This is a great banana bread recipe. I just love it. It doesn’t last long in my house. I imagine it will be gone by the end of day tomorrow.

Thank you Janine for sharing. Thank you Janine’s Meme for passing it down.

And I look forward to making this banana bread for my boys over and over again. We always have bananas in the freezer. Jake seems to go through phases of his love for bananas. Some days he eats two or three, or goes days without wanting one. So when Jake decides he wants to bake, chances are there will be banana bread to be made.

Love Big, Bake Often



No comments: